OPENTHEBOOKS OVERSIGHT REPORT - MAPPING THE SWAMP - A STUDY OF THE ADMINISTRATIVE STATE
Published by OpenTheBooks
Download our oversight report here.
Download our press release here.
Search our interactive map of the 2 million federal bureaucrats by ZIP code across America, click here.
BREAKING: MAPPING THE SWAMP
LAURA INGRAHAM SHOW
Primetime interview - Launching our report
Watch our 5-minute segment here.
In America today, the administrative state and our expansive federal workforce perform a critical and sometimes controversial role in our society.
The center-left sees value in establishing federal programs to help the "little guy" through a wide-ranging and expert federal workforce.
The center-right, on the other hand, argues elected officials have delegated too much power to the federal bureaucracy, which now poses a threat to individual liberty and private sector prosperity.
Modern Washington, D.C., which is a nexus between the federal bureaucracy, special interests, and elected offices, has been nicknamed "The Swamp."
Here are some 'Key Findings':
- 1.97 million civil service employees at a total cash cost of $136 billion. Every minute, the federal government pays its disclosed workforce $1 million. Every eight-hour workday costs more than $500 million.
- Over the last six-years, the number of federal employees making $200,000 increased by 165 percent.
- More than 400,000 federal bureaucrats made $100,000 incomes. Furthermore, nearly 30,000 rank-and-file employees out-earned all 50 state governors receiving more than $190,823.
- After just 3-years of employment, federal bureaucrats receive 43 paid days off - that's 8 1/2 weeks! We estimate this perk costs taxpayers $22.6 billion annually.
- A new 'minimum wage' for federal employees: at 78 agencies, the average employee made more than $100,000!
- Presidio Trust - a small federal agency in San Francisco - paid out three of the four largest bonuses at the federal government, including the largest in FY2016. The biggest bonus ($141,525) went to an HR Manager in charge of payroll!
Download a PDF copy of our report, click here.
We literally 'Mapped The Swamp':
Search our interactive map of the 2 million federal bureaucrats by ZIP code, click here. Just click a pin and scroll down to see the results rendered in the chart beneath the map.
See a small piece of the federal bureaucracy in your ZIP code or any ZIP code across America.
Join the Transparency Revolution! It's Your Money.
Adam Andrzejewski (say: Angie-eff-ski)
CEO & Founder, OpenTheBooks.com
Deputy Director at Large
Want to see the 63,000 Illinois public employees making $100,000 ? Click here to read our Forbes piece and search our interactive map.
Please donate to OpenTheBooks today. It's a tax-deductible gift that holds the political class accountable across America.
It's Your Money. Join The Transparency Revolution!