"Why are small town police armed with M16 and M14 rifles,
night-vision googles, bayonets and armored trucks?"
War Weapons for America's Police
Forbes | May 10, 2016
The Militarization of America's Local Police Departments
OpenTheBooks Snapshot Oversight Report
Despite public outcry, new federal data shows that 2014 and 2015 were peak years for shipments of surplus military gear to local police departments across America.
We quantified the transfer of 1.5 million weapons-related items worth $2.2 billion from the Department of Defense (DoD) to federal, state and local law enforcement since 2006.
a federally sponsored 'gun show' that never ends.
Here's just a sample list of our findings:
- mine-resistant vehicles, helicopters and airplanes, armored trucks and cars;
- tens of thousands of M16 and M14 rifles, thousands of pistols, riot shotguns, mine detectors, and 57 grenade launchers;
- sniper scopes, infrared and night-vision sights;
- thousands of bayonets, and even some swords.
Over 6,400 police agencies across America received military equipment.
What did your police department get?
Use our new mapping tool and quickly search
the military 'gun locker' in every ZIP code across America.
How many thousands of military-bayonets did DHS, ATF, FBI, DEA, and local police departments to obtain?
Did the University of California at Berkeley procure M16 rifles?
Where did the 'transit police' procure 134.5 lbs. of C4, TNT, potassium chlorate, and plastic explosives?
In what state did the Dept. of Natural Resources receive 174 M16 and M14 rifles? Why? to enforce hunting laws?
It's no secret the American people are distrustful of our political class, and rightly so. Transparency is the first step to help restore the trust and build accountability.
JOIN THE TRANSPARENCY REVOLUTION. IT'S YOUR MONEY!
Adam Andrzejewski (say: Angie-f-ski)
Our new video describes how our data and technology can help you stop government waste! Watch it here
Help fund our movement with a special Crowdfunding donation of $1, $50, $100, or more, please click here
- $1 or more receives our OpenTheBooks bumper sticker
- $50 - $74 receives a cotton OpenTheBooks.com baseball cap
- $75 or more receives a hardcover copy of U.S. Senator (retired) Dr. Tom Coburn's book, The Debt Bomb.
Together, we are a strong team. Please click here
to help our mission.